[mythtv-users] [SOLVED] MythTV storage groups can't see 2nd hard drive

JCF Junkmail jcf_junkmail at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 22:27:16 UTC 2012

On 06-Jun-2012 09:09 Simon Hobson wrote:

> JCF Junkmail wrote:
> >So my current plan of action is to set "/content" as something no
> >one can write to (and possibly not read neither), just execute and
> >assign it a group common to all users.
>
> No need for that, you can just assign execute permission to the "o"
> class. Others might disagree, but I don't consider it a security
> issue to allow anyone to traverse the directory - they can't
> read/list what's in it without read privilege, and they'll need read
> privileges to access anything below it.

Thanks, Simon.  I agree with you.  This approach is the neatest of all for what I wanted to achieve (having mythtv directories in a second hard drive, separate from the one with the operative system, having the 2nd HD also used for some other stuff).

It turned out that assigning execute permission to the "o" class to the mount point directory was all I needed to do.  So I am leaving the ownership of the /content folder as I had it before (user jcf and group sambashare), with mythtv:mythtv ownership for the "mythmedia" sub-folder only.

Thanks again to all those who responded.  It's been a great help.
Cheers.
JCF