[mythtv-users] Problems since upgrading to a Turbosite TBS6280 for DVB-T2 capture

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Thu Jun 7 21:41:59 UTC 2012

Hi

I've been a user of MythTV for some time, using the packages installed
from Debian Multimedia.  Up until recently I had a Hauppage Nova T.
However since it suffered from regular loss of one channel - allegedly
because the usb hub built within it was being put to sleep by the
kernel.  This setup ran on my home server (for everything - not just
MythTV).

As I have had to opportunity to upgrade the server - from an ancient
Athlon to a Intel i5 I took the opportunity to replace the Tuner card,
and looking around seemed to find that the Turbosite TBS 6280 was
favorably seen, despite having to build the driver modules from source.
Although running the backend on Debian Stable, the Debian multimedia
repository seems to have provided me with 0.25 of mythtv.  This is good,
because my frontend (my desktop) runs Debian Unstable and that has a
front end at 0,25.

I've duly followed all the instruction and installed the re-compiled
modules and rebooted my server (sadly - I did't really want to).

However I am suffering from a situation where after about a day (not
really sure how long) the tuner seems to silently fail.

All that seems to happen is that
1) recordings that are scheduled just don't happen
2) Attempts to watch liveTv fails to find a lock.

I can't find any evidence of reported failure.

I really have two requests

1) Is there a short term solution whereby I could cause the device to
re-initialise itself without doing a reboot.
2) Is there a longer term solution whereby I can stop it from failing

Have I made a bad choice of Tuner.  Is there anything else out there
that reliably does UK HD TV.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk