[mythtv-users] Dual Head MythTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jun 8 11:00:26 UTC 2012

On 06/07/2012 04:05 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Specifying a settings override on every start of your system is wrong.
> Meh.  The extra few microseconds to parse the options is unnoticeable.
>   Nothing really bad happens from doing it this way.

The wrong-ness isn't due to inefficiency of parsing or anything.  It's
akin to configuring mythfrontend to use the Terra theme and then always
starting it with an override to use Steppes.  If you have an ability to
configure it correctly, why wouldn't you?

And, note, also, that I didn't say /using/ --geometry is wrong.  I said,
"Specifying a settings override *on every start* of your system is
wrong," (emphasis added).  (This was aimed at the OP, who indicated he
changed his start script to use --geometry /every/ start, not aimed at you.)

I'm just saying that everyone should set the settings for the way they
run mythfrontend the most...

>>   Instead, you need to properly configure the system, then you only use an
>> override to, er, override a normally-correct setting for a single session if
>> you need to run mythfrontend differently for some reason
> I do it this way because I don't have a "normally-correct setting".
> It depends on my mood and what else I happen to be doing.
>
> marvin% grep mythfrontend .fvwm2rc
> +               "tiny" Exec mythfrontend --geometry 320x240&
> +               "tiny-wide" Exec mythfrontend --geometry 320x180&
> +               "small" Exec mythfrontend --geometry 640x480&
> +               "small-wide" Exec mythfrontend --geometry 640x360&
> +               "normal" Exec mythfrontend --geometry 800x600&
> +               "normal-wide" Exec mythfrontend --geometry 800x450&
> +               "large" Exec mythfrontend --geometry 1024x768&
> +               "large-wide" Exec mythfrontend --geometry 1024x576&
> +               "720" Exec mythfrontend --geometry 1280x720&
> +               "full" Exec mythfrontend&
>

> Ideally the frontend should be able to toggle between windowed and
> fullscreen and tolerate being resized without being restarted.  Until
> then, --geometry is all there is.

or even just pick one of the configurations at random and set it to use
that, so that at least once in a blue moon, the configured settings are
correct.

Ideally, though, you'd have a different profile (configuration) for each
of your run modes and each would be configured appropriately so you just
specify the profile you want.  (Though this will be much easier with
some future changes we have planned.)

Mike