[mythtv-users] Forced subtitles in mkv DVD rips.

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 13:15:20 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 6:56 AM, Alexander Fisher <alex at alexfisher.me.uk> wrote:
> Sorry, I should have mentioned when in the clip I expect the subtitles occur.
> About 3 minutes 10 seconds in, Bart has a 'conversation' with 'Santa's
> Little Helper'.
> Being a non-english speaker, Santa's Little Helper is subtitled. :)

Ah, I should have been more patient.

Assuming this sample is representative, it seems the right behavior is
the following.  When playback starts, if the user's DefaultCCMode
setting ("If enabled, captions will be displayed when playing back
recordings or watching Live TV.") is 0, and the AllowForcedSubtitles
setting (a "live setting" controlled through the playback OSD menu) is
1, then attempt to select a forced subtitle track.  Since there may be
multiple forced subtitle tracks, use the same auto-selection criteria
that is used for regular subtitle tracks, i.e. take the user's
language preference into account.

Jim