[mythtv-users] HTTP progressive download possible?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Jun 9 06:24:43 UTC 2012

On 6/8/2012 22:50, Erik Jensen wrote:
> I was really excited to try out the new HTTP streaming functionality in
> 0.25. After upgrading, I connected via telnet and typed 'play file
> http://whatever'. Sure enough, the video started playing. Awesome!
>
> However, I noticed that the time indicator always reads 0:01 of 0:01,
> and seeking does not work. Attempting to seek backward starts the video
> over from the beginning, and attempting to seek forward does nothing.
>
> It would be really cool if the video could start downloading as soon as
> playback starts, and then let you seek around in the part that had been
> downloaded so far. This would basically make HTTP streaming work the
> same way that live tv works (with the exception that non-live streams
> could be retrieved faster than real time).

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at.  HLS merely means a
playlist defining the video stream, combined with a bunch of short video
chunks that can be downloaded independently by the client.  I believe we
currently use chunks 10 seconds long.  It's up to the client to properly
handle seeking, not the server.