[mythtv-users] Strange Audio Problem 0.25

jr jraymyth at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 17:40:45 UTC 2012

I have a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 and MythBuntu 0.25 FE/BE.  The
install went without a hitch.  The tuners and channels are all
configured.  Blah blah blah.  The problem I am having is with the
audio.

I went through the Setup Wizard and set the audio device
(ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1).  The speaker test hissed as expected.
Video Playback Profile is set to VDPAU High Quality. Test High
Definition plays me a nice movie intro of someone walking across icy
mountains.  The incidental music is clear and audible.

So I went to make a recording and played it.  The video was clear, but
no audio was emitted.  The recording does have sound when played
through VLC.  I figure that its a config problem, but of what?  ALSA
is clearly working with the HDMI port.  MythTV is communicating with
ALSA, in the setup at the least.  I don't mind digging in...but where
do I dig?

Thanks,
jr

Intel DQ67EP (i5) -- Onboard audio is disabled in the bios
MSI N210-MD512H GeForce 210 512MB
4GB

mythuser at Jotun:~$ aplay -l
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0