[mythtv-users] recommendations for small frontend

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Tue Jun 12 22:51:20 UTC 2012

On 6/12/2012 3:25 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Tom Lichti<tom at redpepperracing.com>  wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Daniel Frey<dmfrey at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Tom,
>>> That is the android pc, but the specs are a little lite, especially in
>>> memory.  Probably would be fine for HLS, so the app should work on it.  I
>>> will have to see if they can send me one to play with to try out with the
>>> app :)
>>>
>>> Dan
>>
>> Looks like I waited too long, the pre-order is sold out...
>
> APC says VIA, I say "yuck"
>
> A poor history of driver releases on mini-itx systems made me avoid
> for a long time.

Definitely stay away from VIA.

I started working on MiniMyth because I wanted a small frontend and
MiniMyth was tailored to the VIA EPIA M mainboard. My initial MythTV
frontends were VIA EPIA mainboards (one M and one SP).

However, VIA dropped the ball. In the seven years since I started
contributing to MiniMyth, VIA has done nothing to make their graphics
hardware available to Open Source applications. As a result, VIA
graphics hardware is useless when it comes to Open Source multimedia
applications such as MythTV.

At this time, I use Atom+ION2 based hardware for small frontends and
AMD+NVIDIA for normal frontends.