[mythtv-users] Strange Audio Problem 0.25

jr jraymyth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 03:43:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Igor Cicimov <icicimov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you try with "ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3" or DEV=7 in the audio setup?
> Sorry fot top post im typing this on my phone. If not available as selection
> i think you can manually edit it.

Hmmm.  This is confusing.  Using 7 in that line resulted in a no
device found error.  But it got me wondering, so I went thru all of my
listed devices with DEV=7, and found one that works.

ALSA:dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7

This is good, but I dont understand why the HDMI line does not.

I have an
ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1*
ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2
ALSA:hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3

*A connection is found by MythTV.  Clicking "Test" yields the test
hiss in alternating speakers.  No sound when playing a recording.

Also:
ALSA:hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
ALSA:hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7**
ALSA:hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8
ALSA:hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9
**A connection is found by MythTV.  Clicking "Test" yields the test
hiss in alternating speakers.  I hear a fast fluttering sound when
playing a recording.

Also:
ALSA:plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
ALSA:plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7**