[mythtv-users] MythTV and power cuts

Zarthan South zarthan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 19:49:23 UTC 2012

> > I am looking for suggestions on how to keep going a mythtv machine in a
> place which has a lot of powercuts. Until now I have been using an APC ups
> along with excellent apcupsd software to switch off the machine on power
> failure and bring it back on when power restoration.
> > Unfortunately, I have had to change the batteries every couple of months
> since they stop holding their power after a few cycles.

 Any time you loose power during a disk write you risk a corrupted disk. A
RAID controller with battery backed or flash backed cache could make this
less of an issue. Use single disks rather than an array. Disable any cache
directly on the disks since that would defeat the RAID controller cache.
You wouldn't need the latest RAID controllers so an older Dell or HP card
from ebay or the like would do. Make absolute certain that any controller
you have includes the battery backed cache and the larger the cache the
better 512 or more.