[mythtv-users] Upgrading from .24+fix to .25

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 18 22:14:36 UTC 2012

On 06/18/2012 04:33 PM, mikkel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have read numerous pages on upgrading, but I would like to make sure
> I do it right.
>
> Currently I have a .24+fix running Ubuntu 10.10 - which was a big
> mistake on my part - and want to move to a fresh install of ubuntu
> 12.04 LTS.
>
> Originally I had planned to upgrade my production BE then backup the db and use this for my fresh install.
>
> Just for the purpose of testing on my test BE I did the following
>
> /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --drop_database --create_database --directory<directory containing db backup>

This is the appropriate way to move a database to another host or to
restore a database after an OS upgrade.

> I knew from previous minor upgrades that the db schemes would not match, but mythtv naturally would suggest an upgrade.

Exactly.

> Everything looks fine, but is this a wise way to do it? Are the db scheme versions too different to take this chance?
>

> This would save me the task of upgrading my existing BE, which also means down-time = declining WAF

MythTV 0.25 will upgrade a 0.24 database schema without problems.  So,
as long as all of your systems will be running MythTV 0.25-fixes, all
will work fine.

Just make sure you protect that pre-upgrade database backup well.  If
you have any problems, it's your get-out-of-jail-free card.

Mike