[mythtv-users] EPG and SAT

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Tue Jun 19 06:54:08 UTC 2012

On 18.06.2012 18:03, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> My Mythtv is configured to use only the broadcasted EPG information.
> This is working with most channels. Live TV and programming guide show
> the information. But some channels don’t seem to have any. Eurosport
> Deutschland for example marks every programme as „unknown”. Even

Eurosport does not transmit EIT. (at least it did not when I looked two
years ago)
We have code to support it over in NonameTV but I have not yet talked
to Eurosport about including it in my feed due to lack of time and
interest.

> teletext is not working. Now I know from my anlogue TV experience that
> Eurosport Deutschland has teletext. And a friend of mine was able to get
> EPG information from this channel using his hardware sat receiver.
>
> Now I’m wondering why I don’t get EPG information with Mythtv. Are there
> different EPG encodings? Or does a hardware sat receiver use other
> sources as EPG as well?

Yes, there are at least 2 EIT sources and a dozen or so other EPGs on
satellite.

The first is the EIT that is broadcast on the multiplex. (EIT active)

The second is the EIT that is broadcast on a separate multiplex for all
channels in one data stream. (EIT other, sometimes needs different
fixups, see http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/9480 for a polish
example)

The there are other guides like MediaHighWay EPG (Canal+)
or Infosat-EPG, also named Sieh-Fern-Info by Technisat
or Guide PLus+ (formerly Gemstar) which is secretly being removed by
cable providers by turning off Eurosport at night, see
http://www.rovicorp.com/guideplus/de/index.html

wrt, teletext. I think that might be a bug, but I'm not sure

Regards,
Karl