[mythtv-users] 8400GS -> GT 430 -> ?? (60Hz, VDPAU High Quality)

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Jun 19 09:18:53 UTC 2012

On 13 Jun 2012, at 20:41, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Andre <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>> I made a special point of buying an overclocked 430 this one:
>> http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3611#ov
>
> Less than 5% overclocked from the "reference" design.  But if
> you are right on the edge, that can make a difference.

Well it seems I spoke too soon, had only upgraded a few days before!

I'm seeing glitches on some bluray rip playback 1080p24 mkv and some subtle av sync slips in 1080i25 h264 recordings, I think I will be dusting off my GT220 shortly.

>> As I had seen that the benchmarks were a little tight, it does overheat easily which causes a great deal of glitching. Currently running with a huge slow fan instead of the original two little ones and no case top while I work out how to cool it properly.
>
> LN2 should work just fine.  The problem is the tank :-)
>
>> Maybe the OP's 430 is getting a little warm.
>
> You could be right.  Just as with CPUs (since P4 days?),
> current GPUs will slow the clock down to protect against
> overheating, and when you are near the edge, every few
> percent can matter.
>
>> I only run de-interlacing at Advanced 2x anything else looks terrible IMPO.
>
> I would agree.  I am also of the "especially picky" group
> (and then there is the issue of correctly matching the
> source frame rate to avoid the once every 100-500 frame
> (depending on the match) glitch that can occur in some
> cases).

Agreed but across the 60hz world people are used to watching movies on TV with 3:2 pulldown, so I guess if they can get used to and ignore that mess they can easily ignore the more subtle motion glitches.

Andre