[mythtv-users] Compile from source fails with configure: error: cannot link with -luuid, install uuid-dev]

jnissley at nissley.org jnissley at nissley.org
Tue Jun 19 19:50:35 UTC 2012

I download the latest source from github this morning and tried to compile
on my fedora 15 and fedora 16 servers and the following fatal error was
given.

checking for uuid_generate in -luuid... no
configure: error: cannot link with -luuid, install uuid-dev.
make[1]: *** [zeromq/Makefile] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mythtv/mythtv/mythtv/external'
make: *** [external] Error 2

I looked for a package called uuid-dev and could not find one but I did
install all of the uuid packages I could find.

[root at mythtv2 mythtv]# rpm -qa | grep uuid
uuid-php-1.6.2-4.fc15.x86_64
uuid-dce-1.6.2-4.fc15.x86_64
uuid-1.6.2-4.fc15.x86_64
uuid-pgsql-1.6.2-4.fc15.x86_64
libuuid-2.19.1-1.4.fc15.x86_64
uuidd-2.19.1-1.4.fc15.x86_64
uuid-dce-devel-1.6.2-4.fc15.x86_64
uuid-devel-1.6.2-4.fc15.x86_64
uuid-c++-1.6.2-4.fc15.x86_64
uuid-c++-devel-1.6.2-4.fc15.x86_64
uuid-perl-1.6.2-4.fc15.x86_64

Can someone please assist me in getting past this error.  Thanks