[mythtv-users] Compile from source fails with configure: error: cannot link with -luuid, install uuid-dev]

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 22:41:13 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:25 PM, John Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:
> configure: error: cannot link with -luuid, install uuid-dev.
>> make[1]: *** [zeromq/Makefile] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mythtv/mythtv/mythtv/external'
>> make: *** [external] Error 2
>>
>> I looked for a package called uuid-dev and could not find one but I did
>> install all of the uuid packages I could find.
>
> It's not intuitive but you have to prepend "lib" to the linker "-l"
> option so you should search for "libuuid.so"
>
> $ repoquery --whatprovides /usr/lib64/libuuid.so
> libuuid-devel-0:2.20.1-2.fc16.x86_64
> libuuid-devel-0:2.20.1-2.3.fc16.x86_64

> I do not know how to prepend "lib" to the linker. Please help me with how to do this. Thanks

I'm not sure how you managed it but you started a new thread instead
of replying to the current thread. Anyway...

What I meant is that the "-luuid" means it's looking for a file called
"libuuid.so" not "uuid.so", which means you installed the wrong
packages.

As the output of repoquery shows you need to install "libuuid-devel",
not "uuid-devel".

Richard