[mythtv-users] How to record a TV serial (was Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 111, Issue 46)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 20 13:37:14 UTC 2012

On 06/19/2012 09:27 AM, Simon Waldman wrote:
> From: "Michael T. Dean"
>> Timeslot rules are designed for something else, entirely, and should
>> almost never be used by anyone.  This is especially true since the case
>> for which they were designed generally no longer exists.
> I'm curious - what was that use case?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/153872#153872

Basically, it was designed for a show whose listings information was
useless for scheduling because the new episodes were generally shows
without any identifying information (no subtitle or description and a
"generic" programid)--making them look exactly like the rerun episodes,
and making them impossible to do duplicate matching on.  I.e. it's a
workaround for broken guide data.

> I use "in this time slot each week" occasionally to grab a new episode
> of something once a week rather than the repeats that sometimes appear
> at different times on the same channel. I imagine that filtering on
> "new episode" would do this better, but it doesn't seem to work for me
> - I'm guessing that the guide data doesn't include that info.

New episode depends on the guide data's providing an original air date.

Really, though, the best approach is to use duplicate matching.  If you
have identifying information about the show (programid or subtitle
and/or description), MythTV can do proper duplicate matching to ensure
it only records one airing of any given episode.

Mike