[mythtv-users] How to record a TV serial

Stephan Seitz stse+mythtv at fsing.rootsland.net
Wed Jun 20 20:52:24 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:32:59AM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
>Stephan Seitz wrote:
>>Yes, the rule is to record daily at this time. I would wish Mythtv
>>would be more tolerant to such divergences. The title of the programme
>>is the same. And I set the options so that the recordings starts
>>5 minutes earlier and stops 10 minutes later. This should always match.
>The pre-roll and post-roll padding is not to fudge the recording times,
>it's to record a lead in and lead out to cover for the broadcaster not

Yes, but I don’t think it would hurt Mythtv users if those paddings
affects the recording times as well. After all the user tells Mythtv to
not trust the EPG times.

>I'll guarantee that if this padding affected the scheduler as you want,
>then we'd have a lot of complaints about it being wrong.  <mutters about
>can't please all the people all the time ...>

Well, I only watch TV very rarely so I am not an expert. It was mentioned
in this thread as well that there is no right solution how much time
difference should be tolerated by Mythtv, but why can’t I set this myself
in the programming options? I can change pre-roll and post-roll padding.
Would it hurt to have another option to set the recording offsets Mythtv
should accept?

>Others have given you options that should deal with the issue. I agree

I have simply solved the problem by using manual recordings again. This
worked for weeks until I tried the way to set a recording via programming
guide. Now I would wish that I could choose a show from the programming
guide and could convert it to a manual recording without EPG
interference. For now I have to look the show up in the programming
guide, write down channel and times, exit the programming guide and enter
the manual recording menu to enter the data. This sucks.

>If your backend isn't running full time, then you should be fixing your
>guide data to tell the truth to the scheduler. For what I'd consider

Well, how? Even I don’t know exactly when and how long the backend will
be online. On working days it will be different from holidays.

>normal viewing habits, you're almost certain to lose recordings sooner
>or later by lying to the scheduler. If you correct your guide data so

No, I won’t lose recordings because I set the recording times myself and
know when the backend must be running. Of course this will only work if
Mythtv tries not to be smarter than me and chooses different time slots
for the show.

	Stephan

--
| Stephan Seitz          E-Mail: stse at fsing.rootsland.net |