[mythtv-users] 8400GS -> GT 430 -> ?? (60Hz, VDPAU High Quality)

Bob Long bob at oblong.com.au
Thu Jun 21 01:21:36 UTC 2012

Gary Buhrmaster wrote,

> The nVidia triad for Linux HTPC:  Low-profile, fan-less, able to
> perform Advanced 2X de-interlacing for all content in 60Hz
> countries.  Pick any two (well, that is slightly unfair, since
> there is other criteria such as HDMI audio, and the presumption
> that fan-less does not include cooling solutions such as
> water heat transfer, and you are not going to do SMT rework
> to change the card layout, etc.)

The other problem is that some silent (fanless) configurations have a
heatsink that takes up two slots. That makes it unsuitable if, for
example, you need all PCI slots for tuners.

I wonder if there are any models that have the extra bulk of the
heatsink on the rear side of the card? That typically may prevent a
PCIEx1 card on the other side from being used, though.

--
Bob Long