[mythtv-users] New system advice

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 19:10:16 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

Due to a garage conversion, I giving away my my old MythBox (which makes
a lot of noise, but sits behind a wall in a different room) and want to
replace it with a new system that can sit on a book shelf, near an Audio
Amp and an old VHS player.

Although I've built most of my computers in the past, I'd like to buy a
pre-built system if it's financially viable.

Here's a list of what I'm wanting from the top of my head:
- To buy it in the UK (for no reason other than shipping costs)
- Needs to be quiet .. almost silent! (My wife is incredibly sound
sensitive)
- The machine will also be the house network server, so needs at least a
1TB HD and will be left turned on all of the time.
- I only need to access the 'Freeview' channels through a standard
ariel. We don't pay for any extra channels.
- The 'screen' of the machine is currently a 480p projector. I'll
upgrade to a HD one at some point, but probably not until this one dies.
- The system doesn't need to do anything other than play films, TV,
music and be a network server.
- That said, I do REALLY like Compiz and the effects that come with it,
so enough power to run that smoothly would be a bonus if it doesn't add
to much to the price.
- I want the machine to 'feel' fast and feel fast enough for a few years.
- I'll be running Ubuntu with Mythbuntu added on top (I've tried
installing Mythbuntu initially, but didn't like the UI)
- It would be nice to have a simple remote control for the system. I
currently use a very nice full keyboard and touch-pad which is no bigger
than a remote control. This is great for us, but not so easy for
relatives and baby sitters to use.
- Finally, I'd like to buy a machine for as little money as possible :-)

Any tips?

Thanks
Damian