[mythtv-users] mythmessage - what I learned

Scott & Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Mon Jun 25 16:05:31 UTC 2012

>>On 6/25/2012 9:13 AM, Scott & Nicole Harris wrote:
>> I have tried that.  My PHP being non-existent, I have been unable to
>> produce a php page that execute mythutil to send on the CID to my
>> frontends.

>Since it is just referencing a URL, there is no reason that you need to use
>PHP.  You can write a shell script and have it do what you want.  You will
>need to turn CGI scripts on and such like that.  You will also need to get
>a copy of proccgi most likely.

>Brent

Thanks for the pointers, it's helped.  I have configured Apache for CGI
scripts and they're working.  I wrote a very basic script to get started...

#!/bin/sh
echo "Content-type: text/html\n"
echo ""
echo "Hello World"
mythutil --message --message_text "Hi There" --timeout  5 -v --bcastaddr
192.168.25.32

If I execute this script directly (./caller-id), it works and the message
pops up on my 192.168.25.32 frontend.  However, if I browse to
http://apache-server/cgi-bin/caller-id.sh my browser displays the "Hello
World" message, but nothing pops up on my 192.168.25.32 front end.  This is
the same issue I had trying to do it as a php page.

Any suggestions?