[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup "failed to open" pcHDTV-5500 (analog V4L capture card)

Darrel Mattox dmattox at schaferhsv.com
Mon Jun 25 19:47:12 UTC 2012

I have installed mythtv 0.25 from rpmFusion on a clean install of Fedora 17.  I updated all Fedora packages before installing mythtv.  I start mythtv-setup to configure the backend and I get a "failed to open" error message when configuring the analog tuner of the pcHDTV-5500 card. The analog tuner of the pcHDTV-5500 card should be of type "analog V4L capture card"?  I have two identical cards and I get the same error message on both cards.  I am trying to configure the cards using the system root account, so file permissions should not be a problem.  I have set selinux to permissive mode.  video0 and video1 devices are created on startup in the /dev directory.  I can configure and watch livetv on the digital tuner of the pcHDTV-5500 card.

Why I am getting "failed to open" on the analog tuner?

This is a clear case of if it's not broken don't fix it.  The tuners were working perfectly using Fedora 15 and mythtv 0.25.

Thanks
Darrel

video0 and video 1 file listing:
[root at myth ~]# ls -als /dev/video*
0 crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 0 Jun 24 00:24 /dev/video0
0 crw-rw----+ 1 root video 81, 2 Jun 24 00:24 /dev/video1

Fedora 17 kernel version:
Linux mythsrv 3.4.3-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 18 19:53:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

mythbackend version:
MythTV Version : 0.25-6.fc17 (1a671d0)
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25
Network Protocol : 72
Library API : 0.25.20120408-1
QT Version : 4.8.1
Options compiled in:
 linux release use_hidesyms using_alsa using_jack
using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb
using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun
using_ceton using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv
using_joystick_menu using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd
using_libfftw3 using_libxml2 using_libudf using_lirc
using_mheg using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit
using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_v4l2 using_x11
using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php
using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi
using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_live
using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2 using_libudf