[mythtv-users] OT - UEFI, Secure Boot, Fedora and nVidia drivers

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Tue Jun 26 19:53:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 15:26 -0400, George Galt wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Lawrence Rust <lvr at softsystem.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2012-06-26 at 12:23 -0400, George Galt wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> Am I reading this correctly?  If so, does anyone have any thoughts
> >> about how to address this issue?  If I disable secure boot from
> >> BIOS/UEFI, would I be able to run unsigned nVidia drivers or would I
> >> also need to rebuild my kernel to run unsigned drivers?  Is it too
> >> early to know?
> >
> > Ubuntu plan to provide a signed loader that will 'just work' with
> > existing kernels and drivers.  See here:
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2012-June/035445.html
> >
> > FWIW iff everything that Ubuntu claim comes to be then we can continue
> > to build custom kernels, modules and use binary blobs.
> >
> > --
> > Lawrence
>
> Without any desire to start a distro-war, I'd prefer to stick with
> Fedora.  While I'm certainly able to alter settings in BIOS, I'm
> concerned about how the move to secure boot might alter the ecosystem
> that currently exists for nVidia drivers.  I've appreciated all of the
> insight that you and others have provided.

I believe that the new Ubuntu loader should work with any Linux system.
The loader will be signed with M$'s key so that it's universally
bootable and then chain to Grub, if found.  After that it's business as
normal.  So you should be able to use this to boot Fedora and unsigned
Nvidia drivers.  The only change for a new install would be a
pre-install of the the boot loader from CD/USB followed by a normal
install.

Fedora will hopefully provide something similar, but they are yet to
confirm.

--
Lawrence