[mythtv-users] Important recoding damaged - anything I can do?

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Thu Jun 28 06:19:00 UTC 2012

Hello all,

My kids were on a BBC1 TV program about Glastonbury festival a couple of
years ago. The recoding has survived various Myth problems and
re-installs, but I now fear that I've lost it for good.

I have tried and failed to 'export' this file into a more usable format
several times over the years I have had it. Exporting a recording from
MythTV seems to be one of the hardest things to do for some reason, but
I'm not here to complain. Just want to see if there's anything I can do
from here.

I got the impression from a recent thread that creating a cut list and
trascoding a recording with 'lossless' quality would create an MPG file
(as opposed to an nuv). I did that a few days ago. The job seemed to
take a very long time, but I was happy to see that it was no longer in
the job queue the following morning.

Running mythlink.pl showed me that the file was still an nuv file.

Last night, I thought I'd try it again, but found a problem. The
recording is still there from within MythTV, but only partially. If I
play the recording, it just closes after about 15 minutes. I obviously
tried this several times and have also tried playing the file using VLC
from a Windows machine. The file seems to be damaged.

I doubt there's anything that I can do, but would love to hear if any
recovery is possible.

Thanks
Damian