[mythtv-users] Tuning MySQL for 0.25

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Jun 28 14:04:46 UTC 2012

I recently upgraded to 0.25 and have found that MySQL's potential memory usage has massively increased since 0.24.

I'm using a self compiled 0.25 from the mythbuntu recipe on 64bit Ubuntu 10.10 in 5GB ram, (I'm stuck on 10.10 on my home system due to some tuner driver dramas I'm still working though).

The 0.25 upgrade added max_connections=100 to the mysql config, which I have seen mentioned here as required before. I had done some tuning with mysqltuner.pl previously but running this again reported 6.9GB as a "dangerously high" max memory footprint!

I've googled for articles reducing mysql memory footprint but everything I find is about fitting in 256MB and rather out of date. I've tried starting out with the example my-small.cnf and my-media.cnf files but as soon as max_connections=100 is added memory footprint goes through the roof. Currently I'm running with max_connections=60 which seemed the maximum that I could get away with in 5GB and is a few more connections than I have seen through mysqltuner.pl so far.

So what are people running with for this?
Can I ignore the max footprint?
Does MythTV really need 100 connections?

Any input appreciated

Andre