[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup "failed to open" pcHDTV-5500 (analog V4L capture card)

Darrel Mattox dmattox at schaferhsv.com
Thu Jun 28 17:59:10 UTC 2012

> Why I am getting "failed to open" on the analog tuner?

> This is a clear case of if it's not broken don't fix it. The tuners were working perfectly using Fedora 15 and mythtv 0.25.

> Fedora 17 kernel version:
> Linux mythsrv 3.4.3-1.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 18 19:53:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

> mythbackend version:
> MythTV Version : 0.25-6.fc17 (1a671d0)
> MythTV Branch : fixes/0.25

Update:
I was stupid and did not make a backup of the database BEFORE I upgraded to 0.25.
But I did have a backup of the database from about a month ago.  So, I dropped
the mythconverg database, started from scratch with (mc.sql) and then restored
the old backup database.

I started the setup process and let mythtv upgrade the database.  Now the analog and
digital tuners show up in the list of tuners.  I select the analog tuners and I am
able to edit them. I do _not_ get the "failed to open" message.  I close
mythtv-setup and start mythbackend. I can record/watch live tv on the analog and
digital tuners.

Thanks