[mythtv-users] FiOS enabling Copy Once flags as of 31 July

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 20:53:14 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Aaron <aaron at rb303.net> wrote:
> I just got a letter in the mail from Verizon. They say to check
> channel 131 (Information Channel) for a picture. I just get a black
> screen, and the channel seems to be copy-once. According to the number
> they ask you to call, my cable card is properly activated so should I
> assume that MythTV isn't allowed to read copy-once channels?

There are actually a couple of different issues, as I understand it.
The first is that FIOS (apparently) allowed activated CableCards to
be moved and then used in other devices.  Verizon is moving to
require (as must others do) that the CableCard be paired with a
specific device.  For some, this may mean that they have to
pair their existing CableCard with the device they are currently
using it in (if, for example, they upgraded their TiVo and simply
moved the card, now they have to re-pair the card).  For some,
this may mean they will need to rent additional CableCards (if
they were moving it around during the day).  The second issue
has to do with adding copy protection flags on some (additional?)
channels.  While the official Verizon notice explicitly talks about
the premium channels and setting copy-once, they are vague
about what they mean by the premium channels.  It could be just
the usual suspects such as HBO/Showtime/etc, or it could be
everything other than locals.  Has anyone found a definitive Verizon
reference on this with real channel examples?

Only platforms that have implemented DRM are allowed to obtain
any copy protected digital content.  MCE, TiVo, and the providers
own STB DVRs implement DRM.  MythTV does not.  If FIOS adds
copy protection to most channels (exceptions noted), a la TWC,
then existing digital tuning devices connected to MythTV
(including CableCard tuners) will no longer be able to record those
channels.  Note that setting copy-once will restrict (because they
implement DRM) even MCE and TiVo from moving content from
device to (that is the reference to potentially impacting TiVoToGo).
The analog hole will continue of course (HD-PVR).

Gary