[mythtv-users] 0.25 LiveTV unstable

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Jun 28 21:22:11 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 01:12 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> But the key is you /must/ be running current -fixes.  Both 0.24 and 0.25
> release versions had serious problems with Live TV that were since fixed
> in -fixes.

What is the best way to know exactly which version is packaged up in
debian-multimedia?  It updated versions this last weekend and I have
installed it.  Still have the problem the original poster reported where
it bails out with "Video frame buffering failed too many times."
Haven't seen the front end hang any since the upgrade so there is
that... but it is less than a week so probably too early to celebrate.

It also pauses for around a second when the top/bottom of the hour hits
and the program title changes.

It also pauses in the middle of some shows on some channels.  Some of
those are in the recording because some will persist if the show is
replayed or just rewound, others don't.  I'm willing to write a big
chunk of these off onto Suddenlink.  Suddenlink also gets the blame for
hosing the stream when they insert commercials.  It jumps to two channel
sound from 5.1.  My amp hates that.

Another annoyance is sometimes when there is a discontinuity in the
audio stream from a local commercial, the above mentioned glitches,
whatever, my amp goes insane.  The multichannel light starts blinking at
about once per second and no sound.  Only solution is to pause/play one
or more times until it clears.  It only started doing it recently and
more often this week on the more recent version.  It has never done it
on ClearQAM directly from the tv's tuner but not enough hours spent
watching the few with 5.1 audio to declare it certain.  Just throwing it
out to see is a lot of other folks say "yea, I get that" and perhaps
someone knows why it does it.

"mythfrontend --version" says:

MythTV Version : v0.25.1
MythTV Branch :