[mythtv-users] HD-PVR color problems

Dan Wilson dan_mythtv at solidstatesoftware.com
Sat Jun 30 20:14:48 UTC 2012

I recently had to re-install linux on my mythtv backend computer, which
had been running myth 0.24 from rpmfusion. I had been running Fedora 15,
which was approaching end-of-life anyway, so I decided to move up to
Fedora 17.

The new system found my HD-PVR just fine. Storing a video file using:
cat /dev/video0 >vid.ts gets a viewable file, but there is a huge green
tint to the picture..

I remember having this problem when I first got the HD-PVR last year,
and solved it by downgrading to firmware version 1.5.7. I verified that
this firmware was still in the HD-PVR. I then read what I could find
online, and decided to download firmware 1.7.3 from Hauppauge and
install it from a windows computer, since it appeared that there was an
easy fix to the saturation problem using v4l2-ctl.

I still get the green saturation. I tried using v4l2-ctl as suggested on
the mythtv wiki HD-PVR page, but cannot see any changes taking place as
I change the various settings.

I get the same problem in MythTv 0.24, built from a clone of the 0.24
git repository. I manually compiled because I didn't want to add the
confusion of upgrading to myth 0.25 while fighting this other problem,
and rpmfusion seems to only have 0.25.

  I would try the HD-PVR on a windows computer, but can't seem to locate
the original software disk that came with the HD-PVR. I will keep looking.

System Information, just in case this helps:

Fedora 17 x86_64, linux kernel is 3.4.3-1.

Trimmed output from system log file when connecting the HD-PVR:

kernel: [ 5074.621914] usb 1-3: Product: Hauppauge HD PVR
kernel: [ 5074.621917] usb 1-3: Manufacturer: AMBA
kernel: [ 5074.639623] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: firmware version 0x1e dated Mar  7
2012 08:25:15
kernel: [ 5074.639629] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: untested firmware, the driver
might not work.
kernel: [ 5074.934383] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: device now attached to video0

Has anyone seen this problem and found a solution?

Thanks for your help!

Dan Wilson