[mythtv-users] UK xmltv grabber errors

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 17:46:27 UTC 2012

On 1 March 2012 15:41, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> I have played with tv_grab_uk_rt, and find that it can process a Freeview
> listing successfully. Trying it with a Virgin Cable-based set of xmlids causes
> it to hang, and because of the hang I am unable to precisely identify exactly
> where. All I can guess is that it might be due to a bad character sequence in
> one of the (US-imported) childrens' channels. (From past experience, bad
> characters in the stream can cause similar problems.)

(Please report XMLTV errors to the XMLTV mailing list/bug tracker)

If you could, please forward me your Virgin config file.

I'm looking into it now - there are no reported issues on the nightly
Debian validator [1] for either the packaged or released versions of
the grabber for Squeeze (but the test only covers a handful of
channels). Validation has failed on the nightly CVS builds since
yesterday due to bad utf-8 in the Channel 5 listings for tomorrow's
Law & Order (in CVS fixups are disabled by default as the feed is now
supposed to be UTF-8 clean, but can be enabled as a config option). I
may just have to re-enable them by default again before the 0.5.62
release.

You are not affected by this change running 0.5.59 as the fixups are
always enabled, even though you are 2 releases out of date on Squeeze
compared to upstream XMLTV.

    [1] http://debian.crustynet.org.uk/~xmltv-tester/squeeze/package/

> I am running a stock Debian squeeze system, which has:
>
> xmltv: v0.5.59
> tv_grab_uk_rt: v1.331

<snip>

> I'd rather not roll my own xmltv program files, but I will if this is the only
> way to fix the problem.

You can grab the XMLTV packages from testing - they have been at the
current stable release of 0.5.61 since 2011-08 and are not reporting
utf-8 errors on the nightly XMLTV validator (that's not to say your
Virgin config will not produce bad data, but you will also pick up the
many updates between 0.5.59 and 0.5.61).

I will grab all upstream listings files so that I can work out which
listings are bad and raise a ticket in the upstream data provider's
bug tracking system.

Cheers,
Nick

--