[mythtv-users] HDHR tuners just died?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Fri Mar 2 16:33:32 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Jay Foster <jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 3/1/2012 7:56 AM, Paul Stillwell<bigboi at wackywombats.com> wrote:
>> I have one of the original HDHRs and it looks like the tuners in it just died. I have it connected to an OTA antenna and it has worked fine for years (small amount of pixelization sometimes). Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed that it will record ok, but some of the recordings are unwatchable (lots of pixelization, almost 0 sized recordings). Needless to say this is causing the WAF to plummet! Last night I ran the HDHR GUI to see what the signal strengths are, and it saw the tuners, but didn't find any channels. I can ping it, but nothing else seems to work. When I tried to record something with it, the tuner lights didn't even come on so I think it's dead.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this? I wouldn't expect this kind of thing since it doesn't have any moving parts?
>>
>> Paul
>
> I had that same problem last year with one of my HDHRs.  Since I have
> three HDHRs, I swapped the power supply with one of the still working
> ones, and that fixed the problem.

That doesn't sound right to me.  In all the other cases I've heard,
and in my personal experience, an HDHR with a bad power supply would
not respond to a ping.

The obvious question is: if you take the coax off the HDHR and plug it
directly into your TV, can your TV tune the channels?  That would
verify that your antenna and cabling are still ok.

Eric