[mythtv-users] Has MythTV bricked my HD-PVR?

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 00:15:31 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Christian Szpilfogel <chriszpml at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> On 03/03/2012 10:07 PM, Larry K wrote:
>> > I think the problem has to be either the O/S (driver)  or the hardware
>> > itself.   At this point I am not sure how to determine which.  Should
>> > I try hooking the PVR up to my windows machine and capture from there?
>> >  Maybe that would tell me if my Linux system is the culprit, or the
>> > hardware.
>> >
>> > Talk about frustrating....
>> I hear you. I've had issues like this in the past yet have somehow got
>> through them.
>>
>> You may have already tries this but I did have to replace my power
>> supplies on my HD-PVRs. When the power supplies were failing it would
>> cause these types of issues. Double check but I think the power supply
>> is 5V 2A. IIRC I swapped one out with a 5V 2.5A and the other with a 5V
>> 2A both of which I happened to have lying around.
>>

> I found a 5V2A wall wart laying around, but it had the wrong size pin.   I
> cut and spliced from the Hauppauge power supply, and I am testing it now.
>  So far, so good.  This might just be the problem!
> Many thanks for the suggestion!  I'll probably order another power supply
> that isn't cut/spliced, or ask Hauppauge if they would like to comp me one.

Well, I spoke too soon, it seems.  With the makeshift power supply, I was
able to get 30 minutes into a show before the Poll Error occurred.   I've
tried multiple recordings, and it seems to be consistently better than it
was, but it still fails.  Where it used to be 3-5 minutes before failure,
it now seems to be closer to 30 minutes.  Very disheartening.  I thought
this was the answer to my problems...

I should also point out that I checked my STB, and it is set to send 720P,
with 4:3 override disabled.