[mythtv-users] Using two EPG sources - XMLTV for TV and EIT for radio on DVB

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 7 18:27:36 UTC 2012

On 03/07/2012 10:51 AM, Science Technician wrote:
> Thanks for this info it indirectly solved my problem.
>
>   I went to look for this config in mythweb and stumbled across the database health
> this showed eit_cache as crashed. Having clicked repair for this and then done a
> mythfilldatabase manually all seems to be back up and running now.

FWIW, you may want to set up optimize_mythdb.pl to run on a cron
job--especially on a "set it and forget it" MythTV system.  See
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Periodic_Maintenance#Optimize_the_Database

Ideally, you'd set it to run at a time when recordings are unlikely
because it's possible it may cause I/O issues if run on a very busy system.

>   Out of interest could I have seen this from inside the MythTV Front end and if
> so where?

No, we don't report any database health statistics, at this point.  The
primary reason is because checking tables can take a lot of system
resources, so we don't want to do it during recordings or "heavy
database usage".  All the code to do it (and even to repair the crashed
tables) is there, but we need some additional infrastructure in MythTV
before it's safe to do either automatically.  Currently, we rely on
users to do it--manually or automatically--at an "appropriate" time.

That said, in 0.25, there's a menu in the backend HTML page for
"Information" (I think), that has a Database option that allows you to
check or repair your database tables.

Mike