[mythtv-users] Overlapping keyframes with ATI Radeon HD 4600

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 8 05:51:49 UTC 2012

On 03/07/2012 09:28 PM, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 1:11 PM, Michael T. Dean<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>  wrote:
>> No one should be using any of the CPU* playback profile groups.  You
>> want almost definitely want Slim on an ATI/AMD graphics card.  What did
>> you have before, when playback was broken?
> I think it was the first CPU profile. I've literally only booted into
> Ubuntu to run that extra frontend about six times in a year that I've
> been running MythTV. So I actually haven't tweaked it at all. Will
> change it to Slim.

Yeah, it was probably CPU+, which is selected by default due to a bug in
the old Qt-based settings code (and its incompatibility with Qt4).  CPU+
is really bad.  CPU++ is better, but still not ideal.  With any of the
CPU* ones, there's a very good chance that the profile it specifies
won't work, so you end up falling through to the "fallback"
configuration, which is not ideal.

We've actually removed CPU+, CPU++, and CPU-- from master (because there
was nothing left of them when we took out XvMC, which is the real
problem with them), so you will be using something else after you
upgrade, anyway.  But, choosing now will allow you to decide which one
you want.

You may also want to try Normal, and High Quality.  Those are also not
bad choices, but require more CPU than Slim.  So, my recommendation is
to start with Slim, then work your way up and choose one that works.
Also, note that you don't want any of the VDPAU ones (whose names mirror
the ones you want--there's a VDPAU Slim, VDPAU Normal, and VDPAU High
Quality).

Enjoy.

Mike