[mythtv-users] Commercial Detection

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Thu Mar 8 14:22:12 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012, at 09:17 AM, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote, On 03/08/2012 05:58 AM:
> > From: Martin Moores<moores.martin at gmail.com>
> >

> > Indeed, I never got around to trying that, but many said they had a lot of
> > success with it:
> >
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythcommflag-wrapper
> >

> I see that this is for the UK. Would it be useful at all in the US?
>
> I find that the built in mythcommflag works great on some shows and
> terribly on others (US, Comcast).

I agree with this(for the US) - it is all dependent on the network - I
find syndicated shows work best, and certain drama shows will fail as
they are inconsistent.  Also Fox shows for our affiliate aren't
consistent with the bug (you get one fox bug, and another for fox/high
def), so that can mess things up.

I think there is another commflag routine the developers were using that
got better results - I don't know if it is the routine in the wiki or
not...

However, for the most part I find it works fine on broadcast shows -
missing only a comm break once in a while, adding a commercial once in a
while, but I would say it works 90% of the time, and who could complain
about that?  I just use the warning mode and you can easily slip back if
there is an error and manually skip the break if there is an issue.
--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com