[mythtv-users] Another Nvidia card question

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 20:59:24 UTC 2012

Hi List,

I have been following the various discussions about the nvidia cards
fairly closely.  I currently have a 220 with a fan.  My place does get
hot and many times when I am using vdpau, the card will overheat and
the whole system will reboot (when I use the nvida monitoring tools, I
can see that this happens when the card gets over 105 degrees, which
is significantly higher than any of the components in the computer).

I have tried to mitigate the issue by leaving my case open, but that
does not really help.  The fan is spinning but all the card slots are
used so there probably is not the best air flow.  Essentially, I am
unable to reliably use vdpau.

My question is, will a passively cooled card (i.e., a card with a
heatsink) solve this problem?  I came close to buying a Zotac GT430
because it seems to do all the fancy vdpau stuff I want, it has a
heatsink as opposed to a fan, and the heatsink is narrow enough that I
can have a card next to it.  But I don't want to go this route if
there is still a good chance that this card will overheat too.

Any suggestions or guidance?