[mythtv-users] 0.25 lookup metadata as part of jobqueue?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 18:26:00 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>>> If you have a dual core processor, are allowing two simultaneous
>>> commercial detection jobs, and are recording seven shows, the first two
>>> jobs that get added to the database will run in real time, assuming your
>>> CPU has enough performance to achieve that.  The remaining five will
>>> queue up and run full speed once the first two recordings are finished,
>>> two at a time, and every so slightly less than half their maximum speed,
>>> due to the two potentially competing over shared resources.
>> Meaning, if I understand you correctly, that you'd actually have all your
>> jobs faster by allowing only one job, correct?
>
> For the specific case of non-realtime commercial detection on a single
> or dual core CPU, yes.  One or two jobs would be roughly the same.  More
> than two and you're going to start hitting some noticeable resource
> contention.

right now I have mine set to low + 2 jobs on my 2 core processor. it
works fine except for when I'm recording more than 2 shows where shows
get put into the queue and so the delay is incurred.

what I should really do is have a slave backend running on my
fileserver that is connected to the backend via a gigabit switch to
also process commercial flagging. I think I'm going to do that now
actually...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!