[mythtv-users] [svlug] xbmc vs mythtv-frontend

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 01:39:49 UTC 2012

Hi

On Monday, 12 March 2012, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> perhaps in git, but as I understand it, XBMC had them in a released
> version before (May 09 for XBMC, Nov 10 for MythTV). In many other
> areas XBMC has come out with the "technologies" ahead as well, I
> remember for a few years having XBMC as the first menu option in Myth
> so I could load it for content/etc that MythTV just wasn't able to
> handle.

VDPAU was a bit of an exception as it came during the 0.21 & 0.22 change
which was an exceptionally long release following the major mythUI update.

I made vdpau available on 0.21 in January 09 and it had been available in
mythtv trunk for several months before that (pretty much within a month of
vdpau being made available by nvidia (late 08))

But if you look over the last few years; myth always had new technologies
well before xbmc.

Personally, I don't mind the fancy UI as long as the functionality is
there. And functionality wise; myth has often been at the forefront.

I'm biased on the subject obviously; but audio-wise myth is far more
powerful than anything else out there.

> I haven't done much with streaming content recently, but I'm
> interested to see where MythNetvision is compared to XBMC, especially
> now that I'll probably start running it again to be able to play
> music.

I thought you didn't like the new mythmusic plugin ?

> but this just further shows how seemingly unwilling some of the Myth
> dev's are to accept that other open source projects could be better
> than mythfrontend. I believe in the past the dev's had made some

I dont believe that this is the case at all. I think we all agree that UI
wise xbmc is more fancy; they also have more themes available. But that
seems to me because they have more supportive user base with far more
contributions.

Every week on xbmc you read about a new theme being made available. Here
all you read are about people disliking what some others have done. Hardly
motivating the poor soul who have spent countless of hours doing something
for free.

> arguments as to why it did not make sense to try and make XBMC into a
> full MythTV capable frontend, but now with the MythTV Services API it
> seems like anything that can be done in mythfrontend could be
> implemented in XBMC.

Personally I don't mind reading about other options available.
I liked XBMC but it didn't do any of the things I use myth for.

I haven't hesitated to ask questions here that had nothing to do with
mythtv but was relevant to my media PC: like what hard drive to use; how to
set mdadm raid etc.

And don't take Beirdo occasional grumpiness too seriously. He's a gentle
soul otherwise :)