[mythtv-users] Live TV recording file size double size of DVBViewer on Windows 7?

Andy Sheen sheen.andy at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 12 17:52:03 UTC 2012

David Crawford wrote on Mon 12 Mar at 17:48 UK time
> I have recordings that are definately subtitled that don't contain the
> subtitles. For example, I set a program to record called "Sunrise" on
> Sky news every morining from 6-9am and it records it half hour slots.
> What I find is it hardly ever records all slots from 6-9 with
> subtitles, usually just half.
>
> Proving one of these records might be difficult though as the file
> sizes are pretty big (900mb)

Just chop the front 30Mbyte off like:

dd if=sample-file of=small-sample-file bs=1024 count=30000

The command takes 30000 1024byte blocks from sample-file and writes them
to small-sample-file. Transport streams are designed to be cut at
arbitrary positions, so that'll be fine.