[mythtv-users] interactive backend start now (to upgrade database)?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Mar 13 17:09:10 UTC 2012

On 12-03-13 10:29 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> Of course you could make the claim that init systems should be
> sanitizing the environment, and not passing through ttys.

Of course.  I'm not saying that upstart passed through a tty.  I'm
saying that upstart was unable to start the backend (i.e. it exited no
sooner than it started) so I started it by hand on a tty at which point
it started asking me about whether I wanted to upgrade the schema.  I
can only presume the previous failures were the backend's failure to get
confirmation to do the upgrade.

Maybe it was just a bad coincidence.  If you want to tell me that the
backend will go ahead and do an upgrade without confirmation if it has
no tty to request it on, I will accept that until I can prove otherwise
(not that I would be motivated to prove otherwise).

Cheers,
b.