[mythtv-users] Upgrading from 0.21 to 0.23 = failure

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Tue Mar 13 18:25:06 UTC 2012

I've been running MythTV very happily for several years now, with
version 0.21 on an old powerbook and a Hauppauge Nova TD usb stick and
feeling no need to upgrade.  A few weeks ago, maintenance work on the
building's arials left me unable to lock on some channels.  After
finding no other solution, I thought I'd upgrade.  The most resent
version for the Debian distribution running on the mac is 0.23.1, so I
upgraded to that.  I know the latest is 0.24, but I thought this would
be less likely to see awkward upgrade issues and that I could then go on
to 0.24 if needed.

After the upgrade, I couldn't watch any LiveTV at all.  So I ran
mythtv-setup to rescan the channels - at which point the whole thing
completely fails.  It doesn't matter if I run the scan from the Input
connections screen or the Channel editor.  It doesn't matter if I use a
channels.conf file (no problem generating that with the scan utility) or
just have it do a full scan of the europe-west frequencies.  It doesn't
matter if I run mythtv-setup as the mythtv user or as root.  What
happens is that it finds 60 or 90 channels, asks me to assign unique
numbers to them - *and then does absolutely nothing*, leaving me with an
empty channel list.  What the hell is it doing with all those unique
numbers I type in (I've tried choosing numbers myself and letting it go
with suggested numbers), if it then just throws away all the channels?

Is 0.23.1 just known to be broken?  Or does it require me to upgrade the
kernel and the DVB drivers as well?  Should I just give up and go find
the old 0.21 binaries?

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.