[mythtv-users] interactive backend start now (to upgrade database)?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 13 19:06:12 UTC 2012

On 03/13/2012 09:45 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> So, I was just upgrading my BE to v0.25-beta-99-gff73126 and it
> wouldn't start via upstart (i.e. service mythtv-backend start), so I
> tried starting it at a prompt:
>
> # su - mythtv -c "mythbackend"
> Shall I upgrade this database? [yes]  2012-03-13 09:22:32.910503 C  Backed up database to file: '/video/mythtv/mythconverg-1296-20120313092008.sql.gz'
>
> An interactive prompt?  Huh?  So I hit RETURN and:
> So yeah, it was an interactive prompt in the backend (read: daemon)
> startup.  Deamon's by their very nature are not supposed to expoect
> to have a tty and therefore be allowed to interact.

That's not a daemon process.

mythbackend --daemon

is, but

mythbackend

isn't.  And, when a non-daemon backend process is started in an
interactive terminal, the master mythbackend will ask for permission to
upgrade the database.  Had you started it with --daemon or -d,
mythbackend would not have asked for permission to upgrade.

The master backend only defaults to upgrading (without prompting) when
it's not started in an interactive shell.

Mike