[mythtv-users] Upgrading from 0.21 to 0.23 = failure

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Mar 14 12:13:07 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:43:57AM +0000, Mike Perkins wrote:

> > *sigh*
> >
> > So I upgraded to 0.24.2.  Magically, the channels detected in the scan
> > suddenly appear in the Channel Editor.  I can go into Live TV and switch
> > between them using the up/down navigation.  However
> >
> >   * The TV Guide thinks I have no channels and refuses to function.
> >   * The overlay shows "unknown" for all channels.
> >   * Mythweb insists there are no channels and so will not provide
> >     listings.
> >   * I have gone through the whole "Delete all connections/cards" thing
> >     again and it makes no difference.
> >
> > Any suggestions to fix this, beyond dropping the database and starting
> > again?  I don't want to lose my database of previous recordings.
> >
> > I'd speculate that there was some error in the 0.23 upgrade process, but
> > I can't prove anything.  Royally fed up with it, though.
> >
> I think at this point you're supposed to run mythfilldatabase to "fill in" the
> rest of the information for the newly scanned channels. You'd be able to watch
> LiveTV but not much else with what you have. You can't schedule something if
> there's no data there.

I had already run mythfulldatabase.  I always do that.  I have been
maintaining mythtv installations for years and wouldn't ignore a step
that, apart from anything else, you're clearly told to do by
mythtv-setup every time you run a scan.

> Mythweb won't display channels which have no value in the 'channum' field. This
> may indicate that part of your scanning process was incomplete, or that
> mythfilldatabase hasn't updated them properly.

They all have entries in channum.  Some part of the process is failing,
but with no indication of what that might be in the logs, I'm left
staring at code and database schemas.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill