[mythtv-users] 0.25 mpeg2 lossless transcoding works again! hallelujah! except...

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Mar 14 18:38:11 UTC 2012

On 14/03/12 15:30, jk90090 wrote:
> Moving it to mythtv-setup is the wrong direction IMHO.  I feel it's bad
> design to move more things to that interface backend.  There really
> should only be *one* graphical interface for Mythtv (not two!), with all
> setup screens within it.  The mythtv-setup should be able to but run in
> text-only mode for the very basic setup (DB setup) and then use the
> frontend for further configuration like provider, card, channel setup,
> etc.  Without this, you can't run a windows-less backend and that feels
> to me like it defeats the purpose of having a split between frontend and
> backend.  This might end up driving me crazy enough to go about adding
> this improvement to the development tree for 0.26.

"Without this, you can't run a windows-less backend"

Oh, yes you can! ssh -X or ssh -Y can do this perfectly well from any other
host. I believe you can use vnc or other methods too. ssh is the way I've
maintained my MBE for years, and it doesn't even have X installed.

The way forward seems to be a separate web interface, which I understand is
planned for a future release. Till then, mythtv-setup over ssh works well enough.

--

Mike Perkins