[mythtv-users] Trying to compile MythTV from source (and VDPAU support in particular)

Andrey Zhunev a-j at a-j.ru
Thu Mar 15 05:54:23 UTC 2012

Hello Geoff,

Thursday, March 15, 2012, 5:24:46 AM, you wrote:

> The scripts at the bottom of this page:

> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Fedora

> are still a good reference for the entire process on a RedHat based
> distro. The build script is basically still good.

> The configure switches have changed, but are listed by a 'configure
> --help', so the config files will necessarily change. Myththemes has
> disappeared from .25 so that portion of the build script can be
> scrapped. Some of the package names have also changed...which can be
> annoying. You may have to search the configure script for the exact names.

> Remember that you will need the -devel packages for everything, too. If
> you know how to do it, you can probably extract an actual list of the
> required dependencies from a mythtv-suite rpm spec file from rpmfusion
> or atrpms. (Haven't done that myself but it should work). You'd need the
> rpmdev tools.

> Otherwise the page here:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Fedora_12_-_Package_Dependencies

> has some pointers to the required files, and lists are on the Fedora 10
> page. Again, names have changed and the actual requirements have changed.

> I'd post my dependencies script but I no longer know what is a necessity
> for myth and what I have added for convenience or just as a memorandum
> of something I need for other purposes.

Thanks a lot, I'll start here and try to move further.

> As to using nvidia: DON'T INSTALL THE NVIDIA BINARY UNLESS YOU HAVE AN
> NVIDIA CHIPSET.

I don't have a monitor / TV connected to the machine at present, so I
can't check if I have any video output at all (I just don't need it at
this stage).
I see errors in Xorg.0.log that nvidia driver cannot load, and other
error stating that the nvidia adapter cannot be found. I'll keep your
hints in mind, and when I reach a stage where I will need a TV - I'll
put an NVidia card from my frontend machine.

Thanks a lot again!!! :)

--
Best regards,
 Andrey