[mythtv-users] 0.25 lookup metadata as part of jobqueue?

Scott & Nicole Harris snharris99 at live.com
Thu Mar 15 22:09:28 UTC 2012

>>> How is mythbackend started by your distro?
>>>
>>> It should use (assuming 0.25beta):
>>>
>>> mythbackend --logpath /path/to/dir
>>>
>>> and note that it must be a directory.  It can't use --logfile
>>> /path/to/file or -l /path/to/dir/or/file or --logpath /path/to/file or
>>> logging won't work (and, with current master, --logfile or -l will give
>>> you a nice error telling you to fix it).  Or, if you want to use syslog,
>>> you can, as described at:
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Syslog_Configuration_Files
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Rsyslog_Configuration
>>> (and if your distro uses a different implementation of syslog--not
>>> rsyslog--please feel free to create and add a configuration file for
>>> your flavor of syslog).
>>>
>>> Mike
>> Mythbackend logs are fine (I get plenty of data when mythbackend is
>> actually running).  I wouldn't expect to have anything in mythbackend.log
>> for the failed stuff that I tried using just mythjobqueue >because the
>> point of the exercise was to try having my jobs done without having
>> mythbackend running.  Now, why mythtranscode.log is blank is a bit
>> perplexing to me.

>If you're starting mythtranscode directly, it's because you're not
>properly using --logpath /path/to/dir or because you have broken logging
>configuration (such as permissions or whatever).  I can't even guess
>which part of your configuration/command line is broken without knowing
>how mythbackend is started by your distro.

>Mike

I am not starting mythtranscode directly, the backend is starting it.  I am
using Mythbuntu, the backend is started by an upstart script....

start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo and started
udev-finish)
stop on runlevel [016]

#expect fork
respawn
respawn limit 2 3600

pre-start script
    [ -x /usr/sbin/mysqld ] || exit 0
    for i in `seq 1 30` ; do
       /usr/bin/mysqladmin --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf ping &&
exit 0
       sleep .5
    done
end script

script
        test -f /etc/default/locale && . /etc/default/locale || true
        LANG=$LANG /usr/bin/mythbackend --logfile
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log --user mythtv
end script

I should also note that this is 0.24, not 0.25.  I am unable to use 0.25
currently, because I am affected by ticket #10414, which is so bad for me
that if I try to start a recording over two, it will cause the currently
running recordings to stop.