[mythtv-users] 0.25 lookup metadata as part of jobqueue?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 15 22:36:42 UTC 2012

On 03/15/2012 06:09 PM, Scott & Nicole Harris wrote:

>>> Mythbackend logs are fine (I get plenty of data when mythbackend is
>>> actually running).  I wouldn't expect to have anything in mythbackend.log
>>> for the failed stuff that I tried using just mythjobqueue>because the
>>> point of the exercise was to try having my jobs done without having
>>> mythbackend running.  Now, why mythtranscode.log is blank is a bit
>>> perplexing to me.
>> If you're starting mythtranscode directly, it's because you're not
>> properly using --logpath /path/to/dir or because you have broken logging
>> configuration (such as permissions or whatever).  I can't even guess
>> which part of your configuration/command line is broken without knowing
>> how mythbackend is started by your distro.
> I am not starting mythtranscode directly, the backend is starting it.  I am
> using Mythbuntu, the backend is started by an upstart script....
>
> start on (local-filesystems and net-device-up IFACE!=lo and started
> udev-finish)
> stop on runlevel [016]
>
> #expect fork
> respawn
> respawn limit 2 3600
>
> pre-start script
>      [ -x /usr/sbin/mysqld ] || exit 0
>      for i in `seq 1 30` ; do
>         /usr/bin/mysqladmin --defaults-file=/etc/mysql/debian.cnf ping&&
> exit 0
>         sleep .5
>      done
> end script
>
> script
>          test -f /etc/default/locale&&  . /etc/default/locale || true
>          LANG=$LANG /usr/bin/mythbackend --logfile
> /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log --user mythtv
> end script
>

> I should also note that this is 0.24, not 0.25.  I am unable to use 0.25
> currently, because I am affected by ticket #10414, which is so bad for me
> that if I try to start a recording over two, it will cause the currently
> running recordings to stop.

Ah, OK.  Using --logfile is correct with 0.24.  However, 0.24 doesn't
pass logging options through to child processes.  I don't know of any
way to get 0.24 to actually tell mythtranscode to log messages when it's
called from the backend.  When you change the script (make a copy of the
original before editing it) to start mythjobqueue, instead, and to use
--logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythjobqueue.log do you get mythjobqueue
logs?  I'm guessing they--like mythbackend logs--wouldn't show much more
than start/stop, but since the transcode is failing under mythjobqueue,
seeing the failure might give us enough information to find out why
mythtranscode is failing.  If not, you may need to try just running
mythtranscode to see if it fails, and why.

Mike