[mythtv-users] An SSD for Backend OS / Database Drives?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 22:24:58 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 22:08, Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca> wrote:
> And when they do issue an update, one doesn't have to figure out how to boot
> some strange commerical O/S just to apply it.  :)
>
> They support Linux.  Rare.

Intel supports firmware updates via a standalone ISO.
Not native linux support, but since you need to power
cycle the SSD anyway to load the new firmware
(and I prefer to not be running an OS accessing the
drive during firmware updates), it is a reasonable
way to go in my opinion (Intel does have a Windows
only tool too, but last I knew still documented that
the ISO was the recommended solution).  Of course
the ISO is x86 code, so if you are using their SSDs
on Power, or Itanium, or Sparc, or ... processors
you will have other challenges.

Gary