[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.25 and 3rd party frontend integration?

TJ Harris tjharris at weaselworkz.com
Sat Mar 17 18:58:01 UTC 2012

MythTV 0.25 looks great..  Lots of excellent capabilities like VAAPI
acceleration, Airplay streaming, and (I think) a new web-based
configuration interface.

In the list of new features in 0.25 (
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25 ) it looks like there
are several features geared towards enabling integration with 3rd
party tools or devices.    But, I've not seen previous discussion of
these features, so I'm not totally sure about the implications of
each.    Anyone here closer to the development that can give "use
case" info for the new features?

- MythTV Services API -- Excellent idea, allowing external tools to
hook into pretty much all aspects of MythTV, control, config, content
access, content additions.
- HTTP Live Streaming
- "CEC Capabilities" (HDMI control?)

Basically, what I'm trying to figure out is if these new capabilities
will allow simpler integration into the growing number of media player
devices out there (e.g. Roku).  95% of my usage is 1) list programs &
select which one to play 2) Play/Pause/Exit 3) Skip Fordward / Back
quickly.
It seems like the above features are plenty to playback & control of
Myth content.