[mythtv-users] 0.25 - livetv fails when starting on a specificchannel

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Mar 19 18:40:10 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Almost definitely NFS misconfiguration, as Daniel mentioned.
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.8 (specifically the
> actimeo option).

Except as I mentioned, I only have the issue when the Always Stream
setting is turned on. Thus it shouldn't even be trying to use NFS,
right? I didn't notice anything in the logs to indicate it was trying
NFS. Turning off Always Stream resulted in it using NFS, and that
worked fine.

But for the record, I didn't have actimeo=0 set. I don't think that
would have made a difference based on my understanding, but just to be
sure I'll try turning the Always Stream on tonight and see if
actimeo=0 makes any difference (yes, I'll be sure to unmount/remount
and check nfsstat to make sure the change took effect).

> If you think there's a reason, then there's some other problem with your
> configuration that you're not fixing that make you think so.  And, when
> fixed, your system will work properly without having to force a value
> for the setting.

Probably true. I can't recall exactly why I turned on always stream,
but it was due to some playback issue. I think it might have been
frequent pausing when watching an in-progress recording (ie: watching
slightly behind "live"). And yeah, I can definitely see how that
probably may have been due to not having actimeo=0

When I just disabled always stream yesterday, playback started working
but I was having a lot of macro-blocking in the video, even in
completed recordings. My nfs mount strings in fstab are the same as
they've probably been for 5 years now, so I went and changed them.
That fixed the macro-blocking issue. I was assuming the key was the
read/write block size...I previous had it at 32k, and upgraded it to
256k. I see in the link you posted it says to just leave that out.
Probably a good idea.

Thanks for that link. It's probably a good thing to review these
things from time to time. For instance, much like my mount string,
I've also been copying over my samba config file for several years
now. I saw a thread in this forum a while back about slow samba
transfer speed. When I applied the suggestion in that thread to my
config, my linux-to-windows transfer speed went from 25MB/s to 85MB/s.
Times change, and so should your config :)

--
Ron Frazier