[mythtv-users] 0.25 - livetv fails when starting on a specificchannel

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Mon Mar 19 22:03:25 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Yeah, that's the better test.  That is how a user on a "modern" MythTV
> system chooses to stream recordings from the backend--by not mounting
> the file system locally.
>
> At this point the Always Stream setting is deprecated and unsupported.
> The only reason we're still obeying it is to allow some use for
> debugging purposes.  However, it will eventually be completely removed
> once we get some additional code we need in place.

OK, I did some more testing, and I found that when I unmounted NFS
(and left AlwaysStreamFiles set to 0), the problem with this channel
returned (just like it did when AlwaysStreamFiles was set to 1).

I also rediscovered the reason why I originally turned on
AlwaysStreamFiles. When watching live tv, there is tons of pixelation
every second or two. If you pause it and let it fall about 1-2 seconds
behind live, then the pixelation goes away. Coincidentally, when
streaming from the backend, channel changing takes about 1-2 seconds
longer. Furthermore, I tested using NFS without actimeo=0, and the
result is that there is no pixelation in live tv, but channel changing
is about 1-2 second slower than streaming from the backend (and thus
is't 2-4 seconds slower than using NFS with actimeo=0).

So now I get to take my choice of 3 sitations

1) enable AlwaysStreamFiles or unmount nfs and deal with this channel
not working (unless someone can help me fix it)
2) use nfs with actimeo=0 and have horrible pixelation or be forced to
pause for a second every time we change a channel
3) use nfs without actimeo=0 and deal with even slower channel changing

any thoughts?

--
Ron Frazier