[mythtv-users] 4-digit channel change on a Comcast firewire STB (DCT-6200)

lists.md301 lists.md301 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 13:00:45 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM, lists.md301 <lists.md301 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 12:13 PM, lists.md301 <lists.md301 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Since I only recently noticed that my local Comcast system added BBC
>> America HD, I recently updated my myth system (0.23-fixes) to record this
>> year's Doctor Who Christmas special on the 25th.  Comcast has chosen to add
>> some of these new channels above 1000, so for me BBCAHD is 1225.  For
>> whatever reason, I never tested things after updating my SchedulesDirect
>> lineup, so I was surprised to see, when I checked, it was recording TLC
>> (channel 225).  I wasn't terribly surprised to see that my version of myth
>> doesn't handle 4 digit channel numbers correctly.  Nothing obviously broken
>> from the backend log, just appears to be the communication to the STB.
>> [snip]
>>

> Don't normally like to bump my own messages, and my procrastination on
> follow-up has made it obviously too late for 0.25, but has anyone dealt
> with the issue of 4-digit channel changes for HD HomeRun Prime tuning?  I
> have upgraded to 0.24.2 since my last message, but it still doesn't work
> for me.
>
> Searching the mailing list archive, I've only found a couple of mentions
> about it, but all related to Firewire channel changing:
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/460218
>
> I've perused the commit listings and tickets, but haven't seen anything
> specific to Prime tuning.  I know the number of Prime users is small, but I
> have a hard time believing there isn't at least one of other HDHR
> Prime+Comcast customer who has 4-digit channels.  (Note that as far as I
> know, I do not yet have SDV, so no tuning resolver is involved.)  It's
> simply a matter of only the last 3 digits getting sent to the Prime, so I
> end up (in the case of BBC America HD), on channel 225 instead of 1225.

Okay, I'm an idiot...I was misled by a very small myth logging issue,
compounding my own incomplete testing:

I had/have tested this exclusive in LiveTV, after noticing a BBCAHD
recording on the wrong channel (4-digit) with 0.23.1 back in December on a
scheduled STB recording.  After upgrading to 0.24.2, I re-tested in LiveTV,
but only (I think) using the STB.  At this point, my HDHR Prime was also
operational, but I didn't look closely at the result.  I was tailing the
backend log, and after seeing the wrong programming on LiveTV from the STB,
I don't think I ever looked at the TV screen again for the Prime.  In the
log, it showed the same truncated channel number for both, so I assumed the
resulting output would be the same.  We all what happens when assuming...

So last night I revisited, but first looked at the latest source on github
related to HDHR tuning, and I didn't see any reason why the number of
digits should matter with respect to the virtual channel number.  So I
repeated my experiment with LiveTV, exclusively on the Prime, and sure
enough, I was watching an episode of Top Gear on BBCAHD.  Again tailing the
log, I saw that the reported channel number was limited to 3 digits (well,
actually 4, since the sourceid number is prefixed, i.e. I saw "5225", where
my sourceid=5 and and channel number should be "1225".)

So yes, for anyone searching the archive, 4-digit channel tuning does work
with the Prime, there is just a printf issue in the backend logging
reporting the channel tune number.  I'm assuming the 4-digit channel
changes is still an outstanding issue with various STB's.